Sew What? Say What?

Some people collect sewing machines, some people fix sewing machines. Some people collect sewing machines so they can fix sewing machines.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

At Old Town Antiques

Old Town Antiques is a store in Eureka. I usually find great prism like pieces of crystal salvaged from light fixtures of the Victorian era there. On this day, I saw this lovely old Treadle. Go on, click on the picture and you'll see a bigger one, get detail.

It was a delightful moment, almost like running into an old friend. If I had more room, I'd have invited it home with me. After all, I don't have a coffin top treadle yet. Yes, I try to convince myself at times that I'm all done collecting sewing machines, but shhhhhh, somehow I think it's not over yet.

There is still something about a sewing machine.
I look at this machine and I see a thousand machines. I see my aunt's machine, the one who made costumes in Hollywood. I see my other aunt's machine, which was a lot smaller, which she used to make dolls and toys for the "rez". She and my mother got me into helping as soon as I could sew without piercing my fingers. All I can say is that I was lucky mom's machine had a knee control, because my legs were too short to reach the floor at that time. I think of my grandmother's treadle...

A legacy of love. A love of legacy.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Blogger --donna said...

I wanted to say I have a Standard like this one, only not in the tasty treadle base. It had been transformed into an electric, using one of those Hamilton Beach Sewing motors. As you can see from the picture of this one, the bobbin winder is positioned so that it is activated by the treadle belt. On mine, there was a workaround for this, they wrapped a spring around the groove where the belt had gone and it could be attached to the bobbin winder.

It was a necessity.
Mother of Invention.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger sewbeezy said...

Hi,
I purchased a 1894 Singer coffin lid sewing machine a couple of months ago. Love it, love it, love it!! It's a beautiful machine that has seen some wear. Has a real rustic feel to it.....which I simply adore!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home