Sew What? Say What?

Some people collect sewing machines, some people fix sewing machines. Some people collect sewing machines so they can fix sewing machines.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Continuing Adventures in KA dye

No, it isn't a pond, and that's not a Koi in the light. It's a microwave cake dish with little balls of Romney that have just been dyed with three colors of Kool Aid in the microwave, and are currently rinsing. If you look closely enough, you can see one of the balls to the lower left corner.

What I love about dying with Kool Aid is that, with just three packs you can make an amazing amount of colors. This time, I can't tell you which three colors I used, because I forgot. I really have no idea at the moment, except that one was reddish, and another was blue. I might have simply stuck to the primaries, and left it at that.

The mystery part was what effects would take place, since I'd made balls or birds nests, as they're sometimes called in spinning circles. I'm not really sure if anyone else uses them to dye with, but to me, they are seriously to dye for. I've found they achieve a unified random effect when applied to all the balls, it just depends on how much you apply. At this point, I had no idea what the final product would look like. In this way, it was different from other times, when I carefully laid out the colors and planned the blends. Here, I had two layers of the balls, enough for a full spindle on my small spindle, which will result in a decent center pull ball (which I will then ply.)

The dance of color ought to make me dizzy.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home